Just a brief update from the nut roll front. Using the same recipe as last time, I successfully baked three nut rolls without them splitting open! While one roll did split, I’m very happy with this outcome. Apparently so is Millie, my dog, who can be seen peeking up at the counter in the photo above.
This time, I used a few new tricks, including:
- Using the paddle attachment to mix my dough;
- Kneading the dough for about nine minutes, rather than the standard six to eight;
- Rolling the dough to approximately 10×10;
- Using much less filling, perhaps a quarter-cup, in each roll;
- Pricking the tops of each roll with a fork to vent the steam;
- Brushing each roll with an egg wash of one whole egg mixed with water; and
- Perhaps most importantly, baking two of the rolls in lightly greased loaf pans; these definitely held up better than the two rolls that were baked on baking sheets.
Stay tuned for more adventures in nut roll!